COUNTRY DATEBOOK: APRIL 24, 2019
• 2003: THE DIXIE CHICKS appeared with Diane Sawyer on ABC’s Prime Time Thursday, where they said that in the wake of calling President Bush “embarrassing,” they’d received death threats and had their property vandalized.
• 2006: RASCAL FLATTS member Joe Don Rooney married Tiffany Fallon in a small ceremony before friends and family on the island of Cabo San Lucas.
• 2007: WILLIE NELSON and road manager David Anderson pleaded guilty to marijuana possession in St. Martinville, Louisiana. They were fined $1,024 apiece and given six months probation.
• 2008: GEORGE STRAIT scored his 56th number one hit with I Saw God Today.
• 2008: TOBY KEITH’s performance at a base in Kandahar, Afghanistan, was interrupted by mortar fire as he played for 2,500 troops in his sixth USO tour.
• 2010: DIAMOND RIO guitarist Jimmy Olander and vocalist Marty Roe finished half marathons as Team Rio raised $135,000 for charity in Nashville’s Country Music Marathon.
• 2015: The George Jones Museum opened in Nashville.
• 2018: Us Weekly reported that MIRANDA LAMBERT had begun dating Evan Felker, lead singer of The Turnpike Troubadours.
Richard Sterban of the OAK RIDGE BOYS is 76. He’s best known as the deep voice on hits like Elvira and Bobbie Sue.
REBECCA LYNN HOWARD is 40. Her highest-charting single, Forgive, peaked at No. 12 on the charts in 2002.
KELLY CLARKSON is 37.
CARLY PEARCE is 29.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
DAN + SHAY have joined the performance lineup for the 2019 Billboard Music Awards, airing May 1 on NBC. The duo will collaborate with pop singer Tori Kelly, who joined CHRIS LANE on the song Take Back Home Girl. KELLY CLARKSON will host the show and will perform.
BRETT YOUNG’s Here Tonight is number one for a second week (Billboard Country Airplay). It’s Brett’s fourth number one to spend multiple weeks at the top spot.
JANA KRAMER has apologized after facing backlash for claiming she would never hire a “hot” nanny for her children. Jana addressed criticism spearheaded by former Bachelor contestant Ashley Spivey in an Instagram post Monday, writing that certain quotes from her podcast last week “were taken severely out of context.” Jana says, “People think I meant the nanny deserved it cause she is hot. I did NOT say that NOR would I ever say that or think that. No one ever deserves to be sexually assaulted in the workplace based on what they wear or how they look. Period.”
… On her podcast, Jana said, “Not that I don’t trust my husband, I just think it’s not smart [to hire an attractive nanny]. I mean, you look at some of these nannies, and I’m like, ‘Well, you kinda asked for it, she’s kinda hot.’ You know what I mean? You’re in close quarters.”
SARA EVANS and the Barker Family (her children, Olivia and Avery) have added a second show at the City Winery in Boston on May 9 as part of their Bloodlines Tour.
Nicole Kidman talks about her life with KEITH URBAN in the May issue of Vanity Fair, which she covers. She talks about enjoying her role as a tour wife and Keith’s passion for writing and playing guitar even when he’s home.