COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JULY 18, 2019
• 1960: At the age of 15 BRENDA LEE scored her first number one with I’m Sorry.
• 1981: ALABAMA topped the Billboard Country Singles Chart with Feels So Right.
• 1992: BILLY RAY CYRUS’ number one country hit Achy Breaky Heart peaked at No. 4 on the pop charts.
• 2003: LONESTAR re-claimed the top spot on the Radio & Records chart with My Front Porch Looking In. It was the first time a country song had been at number one, fallen out of the top spot for multiple weeks, then re-claimed it.
• 2008: GARTH BROOKS, wearing a Mets jersey, was a surprise guest at the final concert at New York’s Shea Stadium, singing Shameless with the night’s attraction, Billy Joel. Also making appearances: Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey and Paul McCartney.
• 2008: KEITH URBAN and Nicole Kidman watched The Dark Knight on its opening day at a Nashville movie theater.
• 2010: SAMMY KERSHAW and MARK CHESNUTT played Concert For The Coast in Houma, Louisiana, to draw attention to a disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
• 2016: RONNIE DUNN and Jimmy Buffett attend the premiere of the movie Jason Bourne at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, along with Donny Osmond and actors Matt Damon and Tommy Lee Jones.
RICKY SKAGGS is 65.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
LUKE COMBS this week tied Garth Brooks for the third longest run atop the Billboard Country Albums chart. Luke’s This One’s For You tied Garth’s 1990 smash album No Fences with 41 weeks at No. 1.
… Only SHANIA TWAIN’s Come on Over, which topped the charts for 50 weeks in 1997 and 1998, and RANDY TRAVIS’ Always & Forever, which did 43 weeks beginning 1987, have more weeks at No. 1.
ALABAMA, STEVE WARINER, songwriter and producer BILLY SHERRILL, and late producer OWEN BRADLEY will join the Nashville Musicians Hall of Fame. They will be inducted during a ceremony on October 22 at the Shermerhorn Symphony Center in Nashville. Billy wrote TAMMY WYNETTE’s Stand By Your Man and produced both Tammy and GEORGE JONES, while Owen produced LORETTA LYNN, PATSY CLINE and others.
MAREN MORRIS’ debut album, Hero, has been certified platinum for sales of 1 million copies, and her songs Rich, Girl and The Bones have each sold 500,000 copies.
On November 5 TIM MCGRAW will release a new fitness book titled Grit & Grace: Train Your Mind, Train Your Body, Own Your Life. The book chronicles Tim’s own personal journey to better fitness and will offer practical suggestions and encouragement to readers.
MIRANDA LAMBERT releases her first new single in 15 months today (Thursday). It All Comes Out In The Wash is the title, and the very phrase that Miranda and her co-writers heard from their mothers while growing.
BLAKE SHELTON’s latest, God’s Country, spends its second week at number one (Billboard Country Airplay).
BRAD PAISLEY’s wife, Kim will host her third Dance Party To End Alz on September 29 at Nashville’s Wildhorse Saloon. Country artists will be on hand to cover some of their favorite ‘80s pop hits with the guest list to be revealed soon. Past performers have included Brad, DARIUS RUCKER, CHRIS YOUNG and LINDSAY ELL. Kim lost her own mother to Alzheimer’s.
GEORGE STRAIT will re-issue his 1995 boxed set, Strait Out Of The Box, September 13 exclusively through Walmart. The four disk set contains 72 songs that span George’s recording career between 1976-1995, including 31 number one hits.