COUNTRY DATEBOOK: SEPTEMBER 18, 2019
• 1995: TIM MCGRAW began a five week stint at the top of the country singles chart with I Like It, I Love It.
• 2002: The original taping of the NBC special Faith Hill: When The Lights Go Down was postponed because of safety issues in the building. The taping was rescheduled for a couple of days later and aired on the network in November.
• 2006: WILLIE NELSON and several members of his band were charged with misdemeanor drug possession in Louisiana after police pulled Willie’s tour bus over for a routine inspection. After smelling a suspicious odor inside they discovered marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms.
• 2012: HUNTER HAYES scored his first number one hit with Wanted.
• 2017: KELLIE PICKLER and Ben Aaron co-hosted as a new talk show, Pickler & Ben, launched on television with surprise guest DOLLY PARTON.
• 2018: DUSTIN LYNCH was inducted as the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry.
Tae Dye of MADDIE AND TAE is 24.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
CARRIE UNDERWOOD has been named one of CMT’s Artists of the Year. Joining her this year is second time honoree THOMAS RHETT and first time honorees LUKE COMBS, KANE BROWN and DAN + SHAY. The artists will be recognized during an October 16 event in Nashville that will air live on Country Music Television.
BROTHERS OSBORNE has pulled out of their performance at Farm Aid 2019 along with a pair of dates on the Outlaw Music Festival this coming weekend. A rep for the duo says their cancellations were for personal reasons and adds that the duo will be back on the road October 3 as part of CHRIS STAPLETON’s All American Road Show Tour.
Buy My Own Drinks singers RUNAWAY JUNE will perform October 3 on ABC’s Good Morning America. The trio are currently on CARRIE UNDERWOOD’s Cry Pretty Tour.
RHETT AKINS has been named Songwriter of the Decade by the Academy of Country Music. Rhett has written 30 number ones over the course of his career.
The self-titled debut album by THE HIGHWOMEN debuts at No. 1 on the Country Albums Chart and No. 10 on the Top 200 all formats chart. The group is made up of MAREN MORRIS, NATALIE HEMBY, BRANDI CARLILE and AMANDA SHIRES.
MATT STEL has earned a gold single for his debut, Prayed For You.
LORRIE MORGAN has released a new cookbook, To Eat or Not To Eat: That Is The Question. She has also opened the Spicy Hot Chicken restaurant in Panama Beach, Florida. The restaurant focuses on southern cooking with recipes ranging from sandwiches and fried chicken to desserts.
CHARLEY PRIDE will receive the Crossroads of American Music Award from the Grammy Mississippi Museum November 1 during their annual gala. Charley will be the first to receive the honor, which recognizes his contributions to the music of America.