COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 20, 2020
• 1956: ERNEST TUBB reached No. 1 on the U.K. Pop charts with Sixteen Tons.
• 1977: JOHNNY PAYCHECK’s album Take This Job And Shove It was released.
• 2006: REBA MCENTIRE’s WB sitcom, Reba, aired its 100th episode.
• 2006: SUGARLAND’s debut album, Twice The Speed of Life, was certified double platinum.
• 2009: FAITH HILL performed If My Heart Had Wings at the Washington Convention Center during ABC’s The Neighborhood Ball: An Inauguration Celebration.
• 2013: ZAC BROWN BAND performed The Star-Spangled Banner before the NFC Championship Game at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The San Francisco 49ers advanced to the Super Bowl with a win over the Falcons.
JOHN MICHAEL MONTGOMERY is 55.
BRANTLEY GILBERT is 35.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
SAM HUNT’s DUI case is headed for trial in March. Sam, who was to appear in court on Friday (January 17) to answer charges of driving under the influence and having an open container of alcohol, will go before a judge on March 17 to answer for the charges. He was stopped November 21 in the Nashville area and found to have a blood alcohol of .173, more than twice the legal limit.
DOLLY PARTON is teaming up with American Greetings to incorporate her music and personally into the greeting card company. In the coming months, the company will be releasing a line of cards that feature Dolly’s classic “Dolly-isms.” The first product was announced last week: a birthday audio and video SmashUp e-card that got its inspiration from her tune 9 to 5.
LADY ANTEBELLUM was honored Friday night (January 17) in Memphis with the 2019 Angels Among Us Award for their support of St. Jude Children’s Hospital. ALABAMA frontman RANDY OWEN, for whom the award is named, was on hand to help present the award to the trio, who have benefit concerts, visits, and other fundraising efforts. Previous recipients of the honor include BRAD PAISLEY, DARIUS RUCKER, JOHN RICH and JAKE OWEN.
ASHLEY MCBRYDE will release her sophomore album, Never Will, on April 3. She co-penned nine of the eleven tracks on the project, which was produced by JAY JOYCE, who has worked with LITTLE BIG TOWN and others.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE is at work on the band’s fifth studio album.
GENE WATSON (Farewell Party) will be the next member of the Grand Ole Opry. He was invited to join on Friday night (January 17) by VINCE GILL. Gene has been playing the Opry for 55 years.
MICKEY GILLEY and JOHNNY LEE will tour together this year in honor of the 40th anniversary of the Urban Cowboy movie and soundtrack.
LONESTAR front man RICHIE MCDONALD and songwriter LANCE CARPENTER (writer of KELSEA BALLERINI’s Love Me Like You Mean It) have teamed up for a new song called Last Night In Memphis. Proceeds from sales of the tune benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
THE GATLIN BROTHERS have begun their 65th anniversary tour, which will visit nearly 60 venues across 2020.